I’ve just upgraded the Blogsystem and comments are now open again…
I just noticed that the contact form was not working correctly since I upgraded to new version of the blog software. Anyone trying to get in touch with me through the contact form - please retry now, I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
I've finally switched to a real blog engine with my site - previously I used a homegrown .NET 2.0 solution with an InfoPath form to publish posts. Especially the latter was a little frustrating :-). It took me two days to get the new blog running. I had hoped to do this with less time. Anyway, the blog engine I use now is - nomen est omen - BlogEngine.Net. I can finally write my posts with LiveWriter.
- It's open source and free
- It's relatively small compared to other solutions (like dasBlog)
- It seems there are still people working on it
- Basic installation was done within a few minutes.
- The import tool sucks - basically it doesn't work with either RSS or BlogML. I had to rewrite that tool from scratch.
- Passwords are stored in clear text - Who does this anymore? Luckily, it wasn't hard to modify the membership provider so it stores only hashes of passwords.
- The server side import api does not import the last-modified date from the post. To make things worse, the import procedure tries to convert the last modified date to UTC by adding the inverse of the specified time zone from the settings. Guess what happens if you have a positive time zone (CEST +02:00) and subtract this value from DateTime.MinValue....
- The server side import api does support the concept of a legacy url - yet this feature is not implemented at all. So I had to add that as well....
- The posts where sorted by creation date, not by the last modification time - seems to be the standard but I'm not comfortable with it.
Was it worth all the work? I think so:
- The site has now a better comment system
- Blog posts can be rated again
- Trackbacks and Pings are supported
- There are now RSS feeds for categories
- I've also added search bar (via LiveSearch - I wonder why Google does not offer something like this)
- Recent posts are listed on the left side.
- And finally: A list of all articles via the Archive page.
So, have fun with the new site.
I've finally added a real comments feature to this website. Comments will appear instantly, but I will remove spam or otherwise inappropriate comments.
So feel free to add comments to every article on this site.
I've just uploaded this new layout... didn't like the old one any longer. There are a few bugs with this design an IE 6... I will fix them in the next few days. But Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 are ok.
Hope you like it.
Well, it was time for a change... so here it is - a new layout and a bunch of new features.
The content is now more blog-based - all the articles are now displayed entirely, instead of a simple grid with all the articles in the categories.
The ATOM-Feed now also contains the content of the articles. Additionally, the feed supports the HTTP HEAD verb, which returns the date/time of the last update, as well as support for the If-Modified-Since header. This should reduce my transfer volume (not that I reached my limit... :-) and improve download speed on your side...
Since this is now more blog-like, I hope to post more often now :-) Well, we will see...